Chilham Parish Council - Who are we
Chilham Square
Check out our what we are doing page to find out what we are doing to improve pedestrian safety and parking in the Square
  Although Chilham Parish Council can contact local authorities and services on your behalf, parishioners are encouraged to make contact themselves if possible and advise the parish clerk of the issues they have raised if they require the parish council to add its support to get the issue resolved.  
  Neighbourhood Policing  
  You can contact our PCSO Lee Sinden by calling 101 or our KCC Community Warden Richard Sinden on 07969 583920.  
  Call 999 if a crime is happening now, people are injured, people are being threatened or are in danger, or someone suspected of committing a crime is nearby.  
  Call Kent Police on 101 to report minor crime.  
  You can also contact your local Kent Police Rural Team on 07980 978202 (Canterbury, Ashford, Dover, Thanet, Shepway).  
  Kent Highways  
  Kent Highways inspect our roads regularly but if you see a pothole, a damaged sign, overgrown verge, blocked drain or any other highway issue then please contact them on 03000 41 81 81 (new number).  
  You can also log on the internet using the KHS Online Portal to report a fault.  
  Click here for more information about the services Kent Highways provide.  
  Street Cleaning and Fly-tipping  
  As a result of funding cuts and the new Waste Management scheme implemented by ABC, the parish council no longer employ a litter picker.  
  If you see litter or fly-tipping in the parish the village you can contact ABC on 01233 331111 and ask for Street Scene Department who can then take the action required. You can also use the Report page on the ABC website.  
  Planning Applications  
  You can search for local planning records online, from 1984 to the present day. For records before 1984 you will need to visit the Civic Centre and view our microfiche records or telephone 01233 331111 for advice.  
  Just visit the ABC Planning and Development Control webpage and you can search by street name or postcode if you dont know the planning application number  
  Neighbourhood Watch - Kent Community Messaging / Trading Standard Alerts  
  Kent Police provide local Neighbourhood Watch scheme co-ordinators with regular email alerts of crime in their area so they can be passed on to members of the scheme.  
  Scheme co-ordinators also receive email alerts from Kent Trading Standards warning the public of rogue traders, cold callers, scams etc operating in Kent. More information can be found on the KCC Trading Standards website.  
  There are 3 schemes in our parish run by Peter Wead (tel 730261) in Chilham, Mike Marsh (tel 730308) in Old Wives Lees and Mike Norton (tel 738234) in Felborough Close / Bagham Cross. If you are local to these schemes and would like this information they will be pleased to hear from you.  
  Alternatively if you live in an area not covered by a scheme please contact Paul Brosnan of Kent Police Neighbourhood Watch on 01233 896126 and he will be able to help you set one up.  
  Dog Fouling  
  Dog owners are reminded to take a plastic bag to collect their dogs mess when walking them in our villages.  
  Dog litter bags are also available from the post office so there is no excuse for the unpleasant and anti-social lack of concern that is spoiling many areas of our parish.  
  The dog warden has been asked to patrol regularly and report offenders.  
  The dog warden can be contacted on 01233 330340.  
Find out about crime in your area
You can get online crime figures for where you live by visiting the local crime, policing and criminal justice website.
Safeguard your nearest and dearest from the risk of fire
When you hear a fire engine sweep down the road with its sirens blazing, it's normal to picture a home on fire, and wonder who might be in danger. But how often do you think whether your friends, loved ones and neighbours are equipped with the right advice to protect them from fire?
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) is appealing to parishioners to make sure their local communities take advantage of the free services on offer.
Read more ...
For further information or to learn more about the free advice and services on offer to residents contact KFRS on 0800 923 7000 or visit the KFRS website.
There are no bylaws regarding bonfires but there is a bonfire page on the ABC websitre than contains some useful information and guidance.
If you have a concern about a bonfire call ABC on 01233 331111 and they should be able to help.
University of the Third Age (U3A)
U3A is a learning cooperative of older people which enables members to share many educational, creative and leisure activities.
The Third Age refers to the period of time after the First Age of childhood dependence and the Second Age of full-time employment and parental responsibility.
Anyone in the Third Age can join U3A and this includes people who are working part time. No qualifications are required, and none are given. There is no lower age limit for membership.
To find out the location of your nearest U3A, you can click on 'find a U3A' on the U3A website.
Kent Trading Standards
Kent Trading Standards always need to receive information about poor trading practices.
This information is vital as it enables them to effectively target their campaign work. If you wish to make a report to them, please call Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06. They will take the details and forward the information to Kent Trading Standards.
Examples of matters that you may wish to report are;
Sales of Cigarettes or Alcolol to under 18's
Sales of Fireworks to under 18's or outside the permitted dates
Doorstep sellers, e.g. fish sellers, carpet / rug sellers
Cold Callers who offer to do work on your property e.g. driveways, guttering, garden clearance, tree surgery
Sales of Counterfeit goods, dangerous goods and wrongly described goods
Roadside car dealers
Out of date food sales
Traders who purport to be private sellers
Any other trading practice that causes concern
Any business seeking advice about Trading Standards legislation are welcome to call 01233 898825.
If you wish to find out more about your rights as a consumer please call 08454 04 05 06.
  Chilham Parish Council - serving Chilham, Old Wives Lees and Shottenden